Note-Taking Tips and Tools
Note-Taking Tips and Methods
- Geek to Live: Take study-worthy lecture notes
how to transcribe a lecture in a way that makes studying and cross-references a breeze throughout the semester – no copying involved.
- The Modified Cornell Note-taking Sytem
- Discusses the Cornell note-taking system and how to combine it with other ways of taking class notes.
- Note Taking Systems
- Briefly discusses 5 popular methods of taking effective notes with comments on their advantages and disadvantages and when it is best to use each one.
- Two-Column Notes (video)
Rita Platt describes two-column notes on this Youtube account. (via ASCD Express)
- CintaNotes Win
A free, lightweight and user-friendly personal notes manager. CintaNotes lets you quickly save and tag any useful information that you come across or just need to jot down.
- Citelighter online
Store, organize, and share your education and research for free. Includes highlighting, note-taking, and automatic bibliography citation tool.
- Evernote Mac, Win, mobile, online
Capture anything. Save your ideas, things you like, things you hear, and things you see. Access anywhere…. Find things fast. Search by keyword, tag or even printed and handwritten text inside images. Evernote Web Clipper is an addon to help streamline this process.
- LiveBinders online
Your 3-ring binder for the Web. Collect your resources. Organize them neatly and easily with your own tabs and notes. Extremely popular way of organizing links and notes on various topics.
- NoteStar online
NoteStar is an Internet utility to assist in the preparation of research papers. Teachers and students can set up research projects with topics and sub-topics. Students may then take advantage of NoteStar’s many features to collect and organize their notes and prepare their bibliography page.
- Simplenote multiplatform, mobile, online
Simplenote is an easy way to keep notes, lists, ideas, and more. Keep notes on the web, your mobile device, and your computer. Find notes quickly with instant searching and simple tags. Share a list, post some instructions, or publish your thoughts.
- Symbaloo and Symbaloo Edu online
- Symbaloo lets you set up an online desktop with your favorite sites and feeds right at hand, and allows the creation of new tabs which can be used for gathering pages about different topics.
- Zotero Firefox addon (especially for research)
A free, easy-to-use tool to help you collect, organize, cite, and share your research sources.