General and Miscellaneous Music Resources
- An Abridged History of Western Music in 16 Genres (video)
- Fun video demonstrating how one song can be very different when performed in different musical genres.
- AllMusic offers a broad online database of recorded music.
- Artists for Literacy: The SIBL Project
The Songs Inspired By Literature (SIBL) Project, is … dedicated to connecting … readers to literature through the arts.With a list of popular songs inspired by books or stories, a songwriting competition, and a benefit CD for sale.
- BBC: Music
An essential guide to music on the BBC and beyond, this site has news, reviews, links to streaming music radio, and special features such as Sold on Song.
- Large database of information on millions of song titles. Searchable by author, title, or publisher.
Drummerworld is a noncommercial site – about Drums and Drumming for Drummers … The intention is, that the site should be kept clean, fast and free of charge for all drummers and friends.
- Harmony Central
- Everything from where to take music lessons, to how to pick equipment, how to get booked professionally, current music news, and products reviews makes this site a must-see.
Free online music mixing & songwriting tool – quickly create backing tracks, karaoke songs, soundtracks & demo songs with professional sounds. JamStudio is perfect for songwriters, musicians, producers or any music enthusiast.
- Library of Congress: Performing Arts Encyclopedia
The Library of Congress’s unsurpassed collections of scores, sheet music, audio recordings, films, photographs, maps, and other materials.
A community music metadatabase that attempts to create a comprehensive music information site.
We are building a searchable, editable, and expandable collection of tunes, melodies, and musical themes. … You can find and identify a tune even if the melody is all you know.or use a text-based search.
- My Favorite Music Sites
- One person’s collection of music sites they find worthwhile. Sites are organized by subject and include brief descriptions.
- NPR Music
- News, reviews, songs, interviews, clips, concerts, streaming music, and much more.
Seaquence is an experiment in musical composition. Adopting a biological metaphor, you can create and combine musical lifeforms resulting in an organic, dynamic composition.
- Secondhand Songs
Find out who performed the original version of a particular song, or who covered that song.
- Singer-Songwriter Directory
- A directory of singers and songwriters searchable by name, genre, or region. There are also links to studios, music companies, and other organizations related to vocal music.
- Songfacts: Fun Facts About Your Favorite Songs
- Facts and trivia about songs and their artists.
Listen. Explore. Discover. Create.This site has information about music, musicians, and instrument, audio files, and more, and offers tools for composing and re-mixing right online.
Classical, Jazz, Miscellaneous
- About: Classical and Opera Music used in Movies
These resources will show you a way to get your hands on the classical music you hear in movies and on TV.
- Classic Cat
index to some 6000 free classical music performances.
Classical.com provides the world’s largest and most comprehensive specialist music service for Classical, Jazz & Blues and World music.
- Reviews, news, articles and recordings from the BBC.
- Classical Music: a history according to YouTube
An educational and eclectic tour of music from the middle ages to today illustrated with clips from YouTube.
- Classical Net
Classical Net features more than 9000 pages and 20,000+ images including more than 7000 CD, SACD, DVD, Blu-ray, Book and Concert reviews and over 5500 links to other classical music web sites.
- Free downloads of public domain classical music.
- NPR: Classical
- Stories and articles about classical music, composers, and musicians.
- Wikipedia: Sound/list
This is an incomplete list of full length copyleft/public domain musical works available on Wikipedia or Wikimedia Commons, with special emphasis on works that are (or should be) linked in Wikipedia articles.
- The Metropolitan Opera
- Site of New Yorks’ Metropolitan Opera. Includes a History page with images and sound clips from past performances.
Here you can get detailed information on many operas, including: Libretti, Source Texts. Performance Histories, Synopses, Discographies, Rôle Creators plus pictures, background information, and more; also commemoration calendars, special features, and pointers to other opera information sites.
- Opera of the Future
Explores concepts and techniques to help advance the future of musical performance, composition, learning, and expression.
- World of Opera
- Includes clips from the NPR show, with images, opera summaries, and RSS feed link for the show itself.
- All About Jazz
A site produced by jazz fans for jazz fans. Our mission is to provide information and opinion about jazz from the past, present, and future.Tons of info and links, video, podcasts, and free mp3s.
- A History of Jazz Music
- Online selections from a book about jazz history.
- Jazz: A History of America’s Music
- Companion to the PBS series by Ken Burns.
- A Passion for Jazz
- Lots of information and links about jazz. Site includes many jazz books, cds, etc. for sale.
- Smithsonian Jazz
- Lavish site about jazz history and appreciation from the Smithsonian museum.
- Tom Morgan’s Jazz and Blues
- Information on the history of jazz and access to streaming audio of current “Jazz Roots” radio show.
Other Styles of Music
- America’s Music
America’s Music uses documentary films and text to engage the public in a study of some of America’s most enduring popular music. The series consists of six sessions built around a different genre of American music.
The home of celtic music on the internet, since 1994. Ceolas houses the largest online collection of information on Celtic music, and has links to hundreds of related sites.
- Gilbert and Sullivan Archive
- Links to everything about Gilbert & Sullivan: summaries, librettos, scores, audio files, biography, companies, newsletters, images, and more.
- A history of rock music
- Online version of a book about rock history.
- NPR: Music
- Stories, videos, podcasts, and recordings about classical, jazz, modern, and music of all types.
Oddmusic.com is for anyone interested in unique, unusual, ethnic, or experimental music and instruments.
- Rock and Roll
- A video series from WGBH
explores the musical styles, influences, and complex creative processes that have allowed rock to endure…. From performers to producers, songwriters to studio engineers, session musicians to disk jockeys, Rock & Roll is an extensively researched and revealing history built on stories from and about the innovators who defined the music…
- Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum
- Exhibitions and information on rock and roll history and personalities.
Music Theory & Composition
- 10 Online Resources Where You Can Learn To Read Music
- Short description of ten sites with lessons on reading music and other aspects of music theory.
- Alan Belkin: Writings on Musical Craft
- Free online booklets from a composer and pianist.
- Free online music theory tutorials, available both with and without sound.
- Music Arrangers.ocm
- Free music theory lessons online as well as other materials.
- Music Theory and History Online
- Extensive site with free notes and lessons for music theory, music history, a music dictionary, and more.
- Online lessons and interactive training modules for learning music theory.
- Music Theory Online
A journal of criticism, commentary, research, and scholarship.For advanced musicians.
A powerful full-featured application to edit, display and play back music notation in a standard web browser, integrated in an online library of musical scores that anyone can publish, link to, or embed.
- Online Music Theory Helper
- Part of the Music Education Online site produced by the award-winning Children’s Music Workshop.
- A Practical Guide to Musical Composition
- Free online book whose
aim is to discuss fundamental principles of musical composition in concise, practical terms, and to provide guidance for student composers.
- Songwriting Tips & Tools – The Muse’s Muse
- Links, newsletter, message board, reference section… all for helping songwriters both beginning and advanced in their work.
- Tutorials, exercises, articles, and other music theory information.
- Top 5 Sites For Learning Piano Online
Five very useful and high-quality piano lesson websites that anyone could use to teach themselves how to play piano.
- A Guide to Medieval and Renaissance Instruments
- Descriptions, photographs, and links to other sites about more than thirty medieval and renaissance instruments.
- LenMus – Free Open Software for Music Rheory
LenMus is a free program for learning music theory. It allows you to focus on specific skills and exercises, on both theory and aural training. … It also includes an score editor.
- MOMI: Museum of Musical Instruments
- Site about American music, especially focusing on the guitar.
- National Music Museum
- Features images from its extensive collection of historical instruments.
- The Orchestra: A User’s Manual
Information about the orchestra, orchestration, composition and instruments, for the benefit of anybody with an interest in the subject.Includes video and audio clips, illustrations, and tips for musicians.
- Large set of annotated links to sites about instruments, instrument making, instrument museums, and more.
- Stearns Collection
Holding over 2,500 historical and contemporary musical instruments from all over the world, the Stearns Collection of Musical Instruments is one of the largest accumulations of such artifacts …
- World Instrument Gallery
- A gallery of world instruments from a museum in Vancouver.
Lyrics and Sheet Music
- ABC Music.net
Free Sheet Music, Free Piano Sheet Music, Free Popular Piano Sheet Music.
- America Singing
- A collection of 19th-century song sheets from the American Memory collection at the Library of Congress.
- Annotated Grateful Dead Lyrics
- Lyrics to many of the Dead’s songs with explanations of significant or obscure words or references, and links to other Grateful Dead sites and analyses.
- Choral Wiki
Begun in December 1998, CPDL is one of the world’s largest free sheet music sites. You can use CPDL to find scores, texts, translations, and information about composers.
- Historic American Sheet Music
The Historic American Sheet Music Project provides access to digital images of 3042 pieces from the collection, published in the United States between 1850 and 1920.(Duke University Library)
- International Lyrics Playground
- Archive of over 40,000 lyrics
from artists, composers who were established pre 1985.
- KIDiddles: Mojo’s Musical Museum
- Here you can find the lyrics to a favorite kid’s song.
- Lester S. Levy Sheet Music Collection
- Index to the nearly-30,000 items in this collection at Johns Hopkins University, and scanned images of public-domain music in the collection from before 1923.
A free site which is a source where anyone can go to get reliable lyrics for any song from any artist without being hammered by invasive ads.
- Search for specific lyrics or browse the links.
- Lyrster: Song Lyrics Finder
Welcome to Lyrster, your interactive song lyrics search engine. Our team of professional developers, music fanatics and content editors have built an ever-growing database of songs spanning virtually all genres, time periods and artists.
- Mudcat Cafe
- An extensive database of blues and folk songs, and links to other databases as well.
Sheet music editions of classical music for free download. These are based on editions in the public domain, and include works by Bach, Beethoven, Chopin, Handel, Mozart, and many others.Also has some midi files.
- Petrucci Music Score Library
Our goal is to create a virtual library containing all public domain music, as well as music from composers who are willing to share their work with the world without charge.Over 85,000 scores as of February 2011.
- A Traditional Music Library
A large traditional and folk music library of songbooks, tune-books, sheet-music, lyrics, midis, tablature, plus music theory, chord diagrams, scales and other music educational & academic reference materials.
- Top Hits
- About: Top 40 Guides
- Reviews, news, artist bios., concert listings, music charts, photo gallaries, and more.
- Thousands of reviews of all kinds of music.
- Section covering
New Music Releases, Music Reviews, Album Releases & Song Releases.
- Classics Today
Your online guide to classical musiccovers classical instrumental and vocal music and opera.
- Entertainment Weekly
- Movie, video, TV, music, books, and pop culture reviews and commentary.
- Jazz Online
- Reviews, artists Q&A, introduction to jazz, streaming audio samples, and more.
- Enter the name of a band, movie, or director to receive suggestions of similar items.
Pandora is a music discovery service designed to help you find and enjoy music that you’ll love. … Just tell us one of your favorite songs or artists and we’ll launch a streaming station to explore that part of the music universe.
- Punk Rock.org
The ultimate punk rock directorycovers bands, labels, zines, stores, and more.
Just because something is free to listen to or free to download doesn’t make it free of copyright! Be sure to check the LICENSE information for each site or artist to see the permissions for their music before you share or reuse it!
Free Streaming Audio
- AOL Radio Guide
- BBC Music
- BBC Radio2
- Boston Symphony Orchestra
- CBC Radio2
- Classical Online Radio
- The Classical Station
- iTunes Radio
- National Jukebox
- NPR Music
- Yahoo! Music
Free Music Downloads
- ClassicCat (index)
- Free Music Archive
- Internet Archive
- Open Music Archive
- Purple Planet
- Sound Sundays
- Wikipedia: Sound/list