College & Career
Careers - General Sites
- Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Find facts about wages, occupations, the economy, and more. The Students section has games and quizzes, resources, and information specifically for students in elementary and high school.
A self-contained online learning course that may be used … to provide students with the opportunity to assess their career interests, explore career options and create an educational development plan.
- Information about careers and career planning, including a wide range of tools from a certification finder to a financial aid advisor to a skills profiler.
- “A free, career exploration and planning system designed especially for New York State students.” Includes information on hundreds of careers, college and financial aid options, creating resumes, finding jobs, and much more. From the NY State Department of Labor.
- Green Careers
Thinking about a green career but confused about your options? You’re not alone. CareerOneStop’s Green Careers section provides an outline of green careers in today’s changing workplaces.
- Mapping Your Future
A national collaborative, public-service organization of the financial aid industry … to provide free college, career, financial aid, and financial literacy services for students, families, and schools.
- Monster: Career Advice
- Information about various fields, making resumes, applying for jobs, etc.
- My Next Move
An interactive tool for job seekers and students to learn more about their career options. My Next Move has tasks, skills, salary information, and more for over 900 different careers.
- National Career Development Association – Resources
- Offers a very nice subject-organized list of helpful internet sites.
- Online college and career planning tools.
- O*NET Online
- Fast-loading, easy-to-use guide to occupations, and finding which one is for you.
- Occupational Outlook Handbook
Nationally recognized source of career information, designed to provide valuable assistance to individuals making decisions about their future work lives.
- U.S. News: Careers
- U.S. News: Education
- Information on job searching, career outlooks, internships, applying for jobs, interviewing, choosing a college or grad school, financial aid, career planning, and more.
Catholic Colleges and Universities
- The 10 Best Roman Catholic Colleges
- An article from USA Today. (May 2015)
- Best Colleges.com: The 50 Best Catholic Colleges of 2015
- Short descriptions with links to more detailed profiles of some of the most prestigious Catholic schools in the U.S.
- Catholic Colleges and Universities
- A simple list of colleges and universities by name, with links to their webpages.
- Catholic Colleges and Universities in the United States
- From the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops.
- The National Catholic College Admission Association
- Lists Catholic colleges in the United States with searching by various criteria, and information about preparing for college, financial aid, college search tips, etc.
- StartClass: Best Catholic Colleges
- Rankings and comparisons of Catholic schools.
- Wikipedia: List of Roman Catholic universities and colleges in the United States
- A general list with links to articles on individual schools.
General Colleges and Universities
- Affordable Colleges Online
We can help students and parents identify colleges, degree programs, scholarship opportunities and more that fit their respective academic and financial wants and needs.Includes colleges by state and major, and financial aid information for minorities, women, students with disabilities, and everyone.
- Campus Explorer
Whether it’s a two- or four-year school, a career college or an online program, we have figured out everything from tuition to average temperature. We also have a personalized search function that allows you to set your wish list and explore from there.
- Campus Tours
- Virtual college tours via the web.
- Topics from choosing a college through the application process and financial aid.
- Services from the College Board regarding admissions, placement, financial aid (scholarship search), and college and career searches.
- College Confidential
Here you’ll find hundreds of pages of articles about choosing a college, getting into the college you want, how to pay for it, and much more. You’ll also find the Web’s busiest discussion community related to college admissions, and our CampusVibe section!
- College Crunch
Offers info and reviews of the best colleges, the most popular degrees, and the top career options available today.
- College Grazing
- Includes guide, interactive college match tool, information on scholarships and financial aid, and more.
- College Navigator
- From the National Center for Education Statistics, a site allowing you to refine your search by multiple criteria.
- The Common Application
- Hundreds of schools accept this common application; many allow online filing of the forms as well.
- A Day in the Life of A College Student
- Infographic showing what the average college student does with their time, and comparing modern students to those of the past. (Sept. 2012)
- eCampus Tours
eCampusTours.com is a revolutionary college planning web site featuring 360° x 360° virtual campus tours of over 1200 college campuses.
- Comprehensive planning site including information on schools, admissions, financial aid, and college life.
- Online college and career planning tools.
Our mission is to help students accomplish their career and education goals by providing quality information about the nation’s top accredited public and private colleges and universities.
- Peterson’s Planner
- A classic site for
college and graduate school planning, test preparation, financial aid, career advancement.
- Princeton Review: College Education
- Search college databases, find information about the SAT, the PSAT, and ACT exams, examine financial aid, and peruse links to other sites.
- Technical & Vocational School Guide
Directory for students and professionals searching for technical & vocational schools and colleges in the United States.
- Transitioning to College
This guide provides information about the changes you will face during the transition from high school to college. You will find general information about college and how college differs from high school, but the focus of this guide is on college libraries as an academic support service, college level research expectations, and the research process.
Unigo is a new platform for high school and college students to collaborate and share information about their college experiences.
- US News: Education
- Rankings, advice, and lots of tools for students approaching college.
Local New York Colleges and Universities
- Binghamton University
- State University of New York at Binghamton; offers both undergraduate and graduate programs.
- Broome Community College
- Broome Community is a local 2-year college offering Associate’s degrees in various disciplines.
- New York State Education Department
- New York State: Services: Education
- Good places to start looking for information on education at all levels in New York.
- New York’s Private Colleges & Universities
- Information about more than 100 private colleges and universities in New York.
- More nearby schools:
- Colgate University
- Cornell University
- Hartwick College
- Ithaca College
- LeMoyne College
- SUNY Cobleskill
- SUNY Cortland
- SUNY Delhi
- SUNY Oneonta
- Syracuse University
- Tompkins Cortland Community College
SummerOnCampus.comLinks to information about summer camps for academics, the arts, and sports at various college campuses in New York state. Listed by program, college, and location.
Federal Student Aid
- FAFSA on the Web
- This is where you apply for a student loan. Online applications can be saved and completed in stages up to 45 days later, or saved as .pdf documents and mailed in. For help completing the form, see the Completing the FAFSA brochures.
- FAFSA Forecaster
FAFSA4caster will help you understand your options for paying for college.Provide some basic information and we’ll estimate your eligibility for federal student aid.
- Federal Student Aid
The office of Federal Student Aid provides publications, fact sheets, online tools, and other resources to help you prepare and pay for college or career school.
- Federal Student Aid – Resources
- This page offers a list of links to fact sheets, videos, and other informational documents.
Other Aid Information
- Affordable Colleges Online
- This site is designed to
help students and parents identify colleges, degree programs, scholarship opportunities and more that fit their respective academic and financial wants and needs.Includes college guide, financial aid information for minorities, women, and students with disabilities, and a helpful Student Guide to Budgeting.
- CollegeBoard.com: Pay for College
- College Board: Scholarship Search
- Information from the College Board about financial aid, scholarships, loans, and so on.
- College Grants Guide
Guide to finding grants and scholarships.
- College Planning Toolbox
Free tools and calculators to help you with your plans to save and pay for college.From Sallie Mae.
- FastWeb: Scholarships, Financial Aid and Colleges
The most complete source of local, national, and college-specific scholarships…Requires free registration.
Search and compare detailed college profiles including tailored scholarship matches.
This award-winning site has grown into the most comprehensive source of student financial aid information, advice and tools — on or off the web.Includes FAQs, links to sites, calculators, FAFSA guide and more. An invaluable aid for anyone seeking information about financial aid.
- Financial Aid Letter
Read real college financial aid award letters. Decode confusing (and sometimes misleading) loan and scholarship information. Translate financial aid jargon and acronyms into plain English. Get great tips on raising extra college cash, cutting costs, and making that degree more affordable.
- NYS Higher Education Services Corporation
The New York State Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC) is the state agency that helps people pay for college by administering the Tuition Assistance Program (TAP), guaranteeing student loans, offering guidance and administering a highly successful College Savings program for students and families.A must-see site for New York students seeking loans or scholarships.
- Scholarship America
- Scholarship information, planning, news, and tips.
- As well as information about financial aid, loans, and grants, this site allows you to set up a personalized profile which can be compared to the site’s database of over 600,000 college scholarships.
- Catholic Online: Vocations
- Articles, videos, news, prayers, and links to further resources for those interested in religious vocations.
- Syracuse Diocese: Office of Vocations
- Information for young men considering entering the priesthood and on religious communities for men and women.
- Vision Vocation Network
VISION Vocation guide is a print, online, and digital resource for those interested in entering religious life.Services available here include
Vision Vocation Guide, and
Vision Vocation Guide Digital Magazine
- NY State CareerZone: Write Your Resume
- Fill-in-the-blank resume builder creates a resume which can be viewed in HTML, .pdf, or MS Word format.
- How to Write a Resume.net
HowToWriteAResume.net is the Net’s #1 online resume builder. Our one of a kind phrase builder technology helps job seekers find the right words to express their job achievements and qualifications in such a way that employers see the value in what they’ve done.
- HowStuffWorks: How to Write a Resume
What to include and, perhaps more importantly, what to omit from your resume. Overall, keep in mind that your ultimate goal should be to land an interview — leave them wanting more.
Build Resume Online in Minutes with Free Resume Builder.
- Resume Trends and Expert Advice
In order to craft a resume that’s not only professional but current, it’s important to look to recent trends as well as tried and true approaches. Discover how to blend the best of both into a steller resume that can help take your career to the next level.
- Visual CV
Build and manage a more engaging Internet based resume. Combine audio, video and a digital career portfolio – all on a single Web page.