- Art & Architecture
There are more than 40,000 images here, and a network of over half a million links. There are amazing and wonderful things to find, and any number of ways of finding them.
ArtBabble … is intended to showcase video art content in high quality format from a variety of sources and perspectives.
- News, pictures, videos, galleries, puzzle games, and more.
- Annotated links to hundreds of art sites, arranged by subject. Very complete and well-organized.
- Art Story
The Art Story aims to sort through all the noise of the art world and shed light on modern and contemporary art.
- Color Chart : Reinventing Color 1950 To Today
- An exhibition from the Museum of Modern Art, looking at the ways in which our perceptions of colors’ emotional and spiritual values have changed since the middle of the 20th century.
- Google Arts & Culture
A collaboration between Google and 151 acclaimed art partners from across 40 countrieswhich allows users to tour museums and view works of arts online. Includes a YouTube Channel as well.
- Lifehacker: How to Read a Painting
I’ll show you a quick way to approach and appreciate a painting, although the ideas here can be applied to works in other mediums (sculpture, drawing, even architecture and fashion) quite easily.
- Luminous: the Art of Asia
- Accompanying website to a special exhibition from the Seattle Art Museum.
- Mother of All Art and Art History Links Page
Sponsored by the School of Art & Design at the University of Michigan.
- Sister Wendy’s American Collection
- Tie-in to the PBS series about American art.
- 40 Most Beautiful Castles Around the World
In this post, we have listed some of the most beautiful castles standing in the world that one must visit during their castles exploration expedition.Short descriptions with photographs.
- American Institute of Architects
We advocate for the value of architecture and give architects the resources they need to do their best work.
- archINFORM: International Architecture Database
This database for international architecture … includes information over more than 55555 built and unrealized projects from various architects and planners. The architecture of the 20th century is the main theme of this database.
- A site for and about architects and architecture, including pictures of unusual buildings around the world.
- Architect of the Capitol
- Images of the U.S. Capitol with explanations of the art and architecture found there.
From up-to-date material on all aspects of design and construction, through to international architectural history, whatever you want to find out about – find out about it here.With many pictures.
- Architecture Photography: Beauty of Interior and Exterior Designs
- Blog post featuring an array of stunning architectural photographs. Links to the original photos encourage further exploration.
- Best of Russia: Architecture: Kremlin
Although much of the invaluable property of the country has been lost, there still remain more than forty thousand officially-recorded historic sites. These historic places vividly demonstrate architectural talents of Russians. The historic, architectural and artistic heritage is the glory and pride of Russia.
- Beyond the Taj
This digital collection references the canonical works or ‘major moments’ that have come to be regarded as important in the study of South Asian architectural traditions.
- Essential Architecture
100 Places To See Before You Die. Photos and information.
- Great Buildings Online
Documents a thousand buildings and hundreds of leading architects, with 3D models, photographic images and architectural drawings, commentaries, bibliographies, web links, and more.
- HSAR 252: Roman Architecture
- An online course from Yale, offering
an introduction to the great buildings and engineering marvels of Rome and its empire, with an emphasis on urban planning and individual monuments and their decoration, including mural painting.
- Historic American Buildings
- Images from the Library of Congress showing
achievements in architecture, engineering, and landscape design in the United States and its territories through a comprehensive range of building types, engineering technologies, and landscapes…
- History of the SkyScraper
- An online documentary video series sponsored by the New York Times.
- Skyscraper Page
- Images and imformation about thousands of tall buildings worldwide.
- Vatican: Papal Basilica of Saint Peter
- Vatican: Sistine Chapel
- Images from the Vatican.
- Worldview Cities
Perspectives on architecture and urbanism from around the globe.
See also: Image Editors for 3D and CAD programs.
- Architect Studio 3D online; free
Starting as real architects do, with a client who has lifestyle preferences and a site that has its own environmental considerations, you will use your imagination to design your own architectural solutions.
- AutoDesk Homestyler online; free
- Free interior design software and a selection of floor plans.
- Envisioneer Express Win; free
Specifically designed to introduce clients to the simple creation of floor plans, 3D models, and interior design concepts. Envisioneer Express uses real world objects such as walls, doors, windows and stairs to make creative designs fast and easy.
- FloorPlanner online; free & pay versions
Floorplanner is the easiest and best looking way to create and share interactive floor plans online. With simple drag and drop tools you can make accurate plans within minutes all on scale.Also offers a MagicPlan app for mobile devices.
- FloorStyler online; $$
Floor styler incoroporates intuitive and simple interface and maximum flexibility and functionality. The result is a product which is both easy to use and powerful.
- Art History Resources on the Web
- Award-winning site with extensive links to art history pages, covering major historical periods, references resources, museums, and prints and photography.
- Art Through Time: A Global View
Art Through Time: A Global View examines themes connecting works of art created around the world in different eras. The thirteen-part series explores diverse cultural perspectives on shared human experiences.Videos, transcripts, and images.
- Cleopatra: A Multimedia Guide to Art of the Ancient World
An interactive journey through the collection of ancient art at The Art Institute of Chicago.
- The Costume Gallery
- Enormous site hosting over 1000 web pages and 2,500 images of fashion and costume.
- The Emergence of Advertising in America: 1850 – 1920
Over 3,300 advertising items and publications dating from 1850 to 1920, illustrating the rise of consumer culture and the birth of a professionalized advertising industry in the United States.
- Getty Research Portal
The Getty Research Portal is an online search platform providing global access to digitized art history texts not restricted by copyright. The Portal is comprised of catalog records that link to full, digitized texts held at contributing institutions.
- Getty Virtual Library
- Over 250 books on art and art history available free online.
Sign in and explore the great masterpieces of painting up close.transparent 1×1 In extreme high definition.Includes extreme close-ups of The Last Supper and other masterpieces.
- Heilbrunn Timeline of Art History
- From the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York.
- Leonardo da Vinci: Experience, Experiment and Design
- Website to accompany da Vinci exhibition; includes biographical timeline, exerpts from da Vinci’s notebooks, and animations of da Vinci sketches.
- MetPublications: Books With Full Text Online
Five decades of Met publications on art history, available to read and/or search for free.Collection includes over 1500 titles from the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
- Painting Pickett’s Charge
- Describes the work behind Rothermel’s painting of Pickett’s Charge, and the compromises between accuracy, politics, and composition which the painter made. (New York Times, Nov. 2013)
- Smarthistory: a multimedia web-book about art and art history
- Free online resource organized as a timeline from which you can click through to further information including text, videos, and further images.
Art Practice, Study, Technique
- AG Design
A Graphic Design education directory with resources … including a Design forum, blog, graphics software tips, graphic design jobs, … and much more.
- The Artist’s Toolkit
Explore the tools that artists use — like line, color, and balance — to build works of art.
- Calligraphy: Beautiful Writing
Detailed steps explain how to use the calligraphy pen, how to write calligraphy letters, how to plan a calligraphy project and how to decorate your calligraphy project.
- Color Theory Tutorial
If you are involved in the creation or design of visual documents, an understanding of color will help when incorporating it into your own designs.Useful for artists and webdesigners alike.
- Colors of Art
Pigments are the basis of all paints, and have been used for millennia. They are ground colored material. Early pigments were simply as ground earth or clay, and were made into paint with spit or fat. Modern pigments are often sophisticated masterpieces of chemical engineering. This exhibit includes most important pigments used through the early 20th century.
- Dmitry’s Design Lab
Design essentials as color, fonts, shape, texture, dynamism, the principles of using artwork, photography, and animation, plus some more specific issues such as web site navigation or logo design, are treated in detail and illustrated by case web design projects.
- Learn To Draw
Interactive, easy to follow, lessons featuring Macromedia’s Flash technology makes learning how to draw enjoyable and leisurely.
- My French Easel
- A blog with
art tips for oil, watercolour and pastel.
- Portrait Artist.org
This is a portrait art tutorial site, with lessons on sketching and drawing faces, tutorials on digital art, an overview of art and drawing techniques, art supplies, book recommendations, anatomy, and much more.
- Teach Yourself Graphic Design
If you would like to learn graphic design from the ground up, through self directed study, then this article lists some great resources that will get you started with your design education.
- Thought.co: Drawing/Sketching
- Pages of information about drawing and sketching techniques, with links to other sites.
- Watercolor Online – Articles and Tutorials
- Links to articles about some watercolor techniques.
- Watercolor Painting – Learning Center
- Reference materials and tutorials on watercolor painting techniques, materials, and artists.
- What’s Its Color?
An image-color processing utility that will evaluate an image and give you the image’s primary and complementary dominant colors of an image, how many visually unique colors are in an image, and the top ten visually unique colors in an image. Extremely useful when creating any type of designs around an image.
- Art Institute of Chicago
- Site of Chicago’s Art Institute.
The Guide to Museum-Quality Art on the Internet, this site serves as a comprehensive index to the online exhibits of thousands of artists. Search by artist’s name or browse the A to Z listing.
- Brooklyn Museum of Art
- Official site of the Brooklyn Museum of Art.
- Corning Museum of Glass
- Museum of glass in Corning, New York.
- Digital Public Library of America
A single point of access to millions of itemsphotographs, manuscripts, books, sounds, moving images, and morefrom libraries, archives, and museums around the United States. Users can browse and search the DPLAs collections by timeline, map, format, and topic; save items to customized lists; and share their lists with others.
- Fine Arts Museum of San Francisco
- Includes a searchable “ImageBase” with over 80,000 pictures.
- The Frick Collection
- Site of the Frick Museum in Philadelphia.
- The Getty
- Images from collection and special exhibitions plus a special Getty Education section for students and teachers.
- Google Cultural Institute
- Google Cultural Institute – Collections
Discover exhibits and collections from museums and archives all around the world. Explore cultural treasures in extraordinary detail, from hidden gems to masterpieces.Includes Google Art Project, Historic Moments, World Wonders, and more, plus associated YouTube Cultural Institute and Art Project collections.
- Guggenheim: Collection Online
Featuring nearly 1600 artworks by more than 575 artists, the Collection Online presents a searchable database of selected artworks … continually expanded to include a larger representation of the museum’s core holdings as well as recent acquisitions.
- Official site of the Louvre Museum in Paris.
- Metropolitan Museum of Art
- New York City’s Metropolitan Museum.
- MoMA – Museum of Modern Art
- MOMA: Online Activities
- The Museum of Modern Art in New York City.
- Museum of Online Museums
The main collection is in the center column, divided into three subsections. On the left you’ll find the five current featured exhibitions. The MoOM is updated continuously with major updates coming once each quarter.
Links to museum websites and virtual exhibits, educational and entertaining games and activities, and extensive learning resources concerning topics typically promoted through art, science and history museums.
- National Gallery of Art
- National Gallery of Art: Education
- National Gallery of Art: Videos and Podcasts
- National art gallery in Washington, D.C.
- National Portrait Gallery (London)
The collection is the most comprehensive of its kind in the world.
- Public Art Archive
The United States is home to some of the most extraordinary collections of public art in the world. For many, a public art collection is not only part of a city or regional identity, it often serves as a major vehicle for engaging local citizens and visitors through art. Within these pages you will find interesting and beautiful images and extensive descriptions of public art from across the country.
- Rijks Studeo
- View over 125,000 works of art from the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam.
- Science, Art and Technology
Wide-ranging topics, from the physics of light and color to careers in science, art, and technology. … This Web site is designed for all teachers, who are invited to make use of its contents as points of departure for their own explorations with their students of science, art, or technology.
- Smithsonian Institution
- Archives of American Art
- eMuseum: National Museum of African Art
- Smithsonian American Art Museum
- Smithsonian Libraries
- Entry points for the various Smithsonian Museums and special collections on display online.
- Vatican Museums
- Online access to the Vatican’s famous collection.
- Virtual Library Museums Pages
- Look here for directories of all types of museums.
- Virtual Sistine Chapel
- Use your mouse to get a 360-degree view, pan around, and zoom in.
- Hundreds of online exhibits available for free viewing.
- Web Gallery of Art
A virtual museum and searchable database of European painting and sculpture of the Gothic, Renaissance, Baroque, Neoclassicism and Romanticism periods (1100-1850).
- WebMuseum Famous Paintings Exhibition
- An Artists Index, a Themes Index and a Glossary are found at this classic location.
- Yale Digital Commons
Search across Yale’s collections of art, natural history, books, and maps, as well as photos, audio, and video documenting people, places, and events that form part of Yale’s institutional identity and contribution to scholarship.
- Yale University Art Gallery
- Views of the collection of the Yale Art Museum, plus information about art and art appreciation.
- 5 Common Photo Problems, Avoided or Solved
Here are five common digital photography problems and how to sidestep them or fix them in an image editor.
- 5 Essential Digital Photography Accessories You Can Make Yourself
There’s a startling array of accessories out there for the amateur enthusiast, and though many are cheap there’s plenty that aren’t. Luckily, you’ll be pleased to hear that many of those costly bits of plastic and card are simply that – plastic and card, which can be built for a fraction of the cost.
- 12 Elements to Capture That Winning Shot
- Tips to remember when going for a great photo.
- About.com: Photography
- Includes articles about basica, techniques, copyright, tricks and tips, and more for the aspiring photographer.
- Basics of Photography
The basics of photography, from the way your camera works to composing your photos to editing them in post. Here’s the complete guide, along with a PDF of all the lessons and some additional resources fo learning more.(Lifehacker, 2011)
- Digital Camera HQ
Unbiased digital camera reviews, advice, and prices.
- Digital Photography School
Simple tips to help digital camera owners get the most out of their cameras.
- Focus on Photography
- A great photography reference tool. Inlcudes basics of photography, lighting, cameras, and more.
- George Eastman Museum
The photography collection at the George Eastman Museum, among the oldest and best in the world, comprises more than 400,000 photographic objects dating from the introduction of the medium in 1839 through to the present day.
- Get the Most from Your Point-and-Shoot Camera
Just because you’ve got a relatively inexpensive point-and-shoot camera and not a $1500+ DSLR rig doesn’t mean you can’t take awesome photos.
- Getting Started in Digital Photography
Here’s how to choose a camera and an image editor, along with important tips to help you begin taking great photos.
An ever-growing resource for people who want to learn more about photography.
- JPG Magazine
- Online version of bi-monthly digital photography magazine.
- Lectures on Digital Photography
- Free materials from a popular online course.
- Mastering Your Camera’s Many Exposure Modes
Let’s look at the most common exposure modes in popular cameras and talk about why you would use each one.
- Lens: New York Times Photojournalism Blog
- Features regular articles about
Photography, Video and Visual Journalism.
It’s all about photography, from articles telling you how to do it better, to coverage of new products entering the market, via reviews and the occasional rant.
- Photography and the Law: Know Your Rights
- Guide for amateur photographers,
we’ve got a list of things you can and can’t do, and it’s a lot more permissive than you might think.
- Good site about all aspects of photography, including a very nice tutorial on Photography Tips and Techniques.
- Popular Phototography
Browse a variety of photography resources, from camera reviews to photo tips.Plus galleries, blogs, contests, and more.
- Easy way to manipulate and share photos for printing; pictures may only be seen by those the user designates. Also does photo-quality printing for a fee.
- The Sony World Photography Awards
From exhilarating sport to glamorous fashion, candid documentary, captivating landscapes, people, places, trends and imaginations – this awards programme unveils stories seen and told by people from across the globe.
- Top 10 Digital Photography Mistakes
There are certain photography problems and mistakes that commonly occur for new photographers as well as the more experienced.The good news is that many of these mistakes are easily corrected with a bit of know how.